Creativity and Genre

         First and foremost, creativity is extremely important when embarking upon a new endeavor. Having uncertainty when given a new task can seem daunting however this is where creativity thrives. In other words, “view [uncertainty] as a potential opportunity to develop and demonstrate creative thought and action,” (para. 30, Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life). When being assigned the “New Introductions” assignment I felt uncertain because I had never thought about trying to reimagine a way to introduce myself. Anytime that I had met someone it was always the same questions of how old I am, where I go to school, etc. But with this activity, I was able to take ordinary stuff from my closet to give information about what I'm like as a person. It was with this uncertainty that creative reasoning was needed. After watching the Ted Talk with Duncan Wardle something that really stood out for me was when he discussed naïve experts and outliers. He explained how when you're so used to thinking about one way because of the routines engraved in our minds we completely forget to think creatively or “outside the box”. More specifically he gave an example of when he asked a group of architects and a single chef to draw a house. The architects drew any ordinary house with a door and triangle roof while on the other hand, the chef made a dim sum house. I just thought that was really interesting and it inspired me to think more creatively as such in the future with my portfolio project. 

Furthermore, Ive looked through some vogue magazines and I really enjoy the visually appealing simplicity of it. The typography used is a general font with ordinary color themes which is meant to bring attention to the main images. I like how this is done because the key feature is obviously fashionI think how vogue’s audience is focused on the wealthy population is something I would like to change. I would like to make my magazine still have an expensive feel but budgeted so that the lower-income population can see fashion that is just as beautiful and something they can easily obtain and enjoy. I was thinking of taking outfits from thrift stores and turning them into high fashion.  

Finally, my vision for my portfolio project is a fashion magazine with models of all different body types. I think fashion is something I'm very interested in and would enjoy learning more about as I do this project. I love all styles and I especially like the photoshoots that come with fashion, as I love photography. definitely want to have models that have different body types because I know that in the fashion industry the stereotypical model is tall and skinny. I think with today's society beauty standards have changed so much and I for sure want to showcase that. As for myself, I am a very skinny girl and I have had issues in the past with having low self-esteem because I thought I was too skinny and that made me not pretty. But I've been able to overcome that and have grown so much confidence in myself and I think that being able to tell my story with the content of this magazine would be very special. 

Comments